Our Ochota staff specializing in root canal treatment includes:
Our Centrum staff specializing in root canal treatment includes:
Endodontics is commonly known as root canal treatment. For most of the people, this term refers to procedures of the deepest part of teeth. In endodontic treatment, the infected tissue is removed from the canal, and then replaced with a plastic material. If the doctor qualifies a tooth for root canal treatment, this means that tooth decay bacteria reached its roots: going through enamel, tooth bone, to the nerved dental pulp which is connected with the cardiovascular system of the whole organism. Such a situation, which is dangerous for the tooth and negatively affects joints, heart, kidneys, and other organs, requires immediate treatment.
Root canal treatment is necessary in case of pulp inflammation, caused by different factors: deep tooth cavities due to tooth decay, large fillings, tooth damages.
With our advanced equipment, such as an operating microscope, endo scaler, and digital radiography, it is possible to perform successful treatment during one appointment.
Stages of endodontic (root canal) treatment:
- Diagnosis – after performing radiography, the received image is used to determine the number of canals.
- Tooth crown cleaning – a tooth is cleaned from bacteria causing tooth decay, and tooth sides are prepared in a way allowing for an easy access to all root canals.
- Cleaning infected canals – all canals are cleaned from infected pulp. Next, a chemical disinfection is performed, aiming at cleaning canals from the remaining bacteria which could not be removed mechanically.
- Filling cleaned canals – empty canals in the roots are filled with a special agent which ensures an impenetrable barrier from re-penetration by bacteria.
- The last stage of treatment involves recreating anatomic shapes of the tooth.
Endodontic treatment is necessary not only to save a tooth or its root, but also to prevent chronic and hidden inflammations affecting general tooth condition. In endodontic treatment, tooth root positions are very important. If the roots are strongly crooked, it may be very difficult for an endodontist to completely clean the canal, even if the highest quality equipment is used. Root canal treatment usually takes 2 hours (ca. 1.5 h in case of teeth with fewer roots). This procedure is performed with anaesthesia eliminating the patient’s discomfort.
During root canal treatment, doctors use operational microscope, which is an invaluable instrument, as it allows us to clean as much bacteria from the tooth roots as possible. Seeing magnified objects, possible with a microscope, ensures high precision of operation in a treatment area of e.g. 1 mm.
As a result, in such a treatment it is possible to:
- -find and treat main and additional canals of tooth roots with their accessory canals, which are often invisible for doctors in traditional treatment,
- remove broken fragments of endodontic instruments, root crown inserts, hard cements filling the canal,
- unblock very narrow root canals,
- perform successful treatment in cases of very complicated and rarely occurring anatomy of root canal system,
- treat root resorption – a condition leading to the loss of hard tooth tissue and bones of dental alveolar process, which may occur as a result of both pathological and physiological factors. This process is extremely harmful and may lead to serious and irreversible changes such as tooth bone, cement, or neighbouring bone atrophy.